Today I changed my morning routine up a little. Instead of making my usual daily cup of black tea, with a dash of low fat milk, and a little bit of stevia sugar, I decided to make green tea instead.
I’m sure everyone has heard all the great benefits from drinking green tea. I looked up the benefits anyways and the risks, because not everything can be perfect, right?
- Green tea contains antioxidants, called catechins, which help reduce damage to cells and have possible disease fighting properties.
- Green tea also contains polyphenols, which have been associated with slight increases in resting metabolism, which can result in weight loss. (this occurs from drinking 2-3 cups a day)
- Green tea’s antioxidants also help remove free radicals from the body, associated with preventing cancer (note that it is said that more studies need to be conducted on this particular subject)
- Also has been show to lower cholesterol levels and triglycerides
- Green tea also contains epigallocatechin gallate or EGCG, which helps reduce inflammation of joints
- Like all teas, caffeine is a component of green tea. Large intake amounts of caffeine can lead to caffeine jitters – shakiness, nervousness, anxiety, abnormal heart rate. It can also affect your calcium absorption
- Green tea can reduce the bioavailability of nonheme iron, meaning your body is less able to absorb iron, an important nutrient.
- (nonheme iron is mainly found in eggs, other dairy products, and plant based foods, like beans. Vitamin C also helps the absorption of iron, so eating these foods and/or taking vitamin c supplements with green tea can limit green tea’s affect on iron absorption)
- For those of you that put honey or sweetener into your green tea, be careful of how much you put it, because those calories and sugar content can add up quickly!
It still looks like the benefits of green tea outweigh the risks. So, I am not sure how long I will try this green tea challenge of mine, I’m thinking a month. I am also going to start out just doing one cup a day, although I haven’t decided if I’m going to up my number of cups per day or not.
If you plan on doing it with me, let me know! If using twitter, use the hashtag #grnteachallenge and make sure to tag me: @itsnicoleilene
(Also, if I got anything wrong, please let me know so that I can change and update my info!)
Or comment below or use the contact form! :)