Today is my birthday. Today I turn 25. I am officially a quarter of a century old.
I’ve been pretty mellow all day, I mean I had to considering I had to work today. But it’s kind of weird to me that I only have five years left of my twenties. Before I know it, I’m going to be getting ready to celebrate my 30th!
Okay, let’s go back a few years. I turn 25 today which, yes, means I only have five years left before I turn 30. I’ve seen several friends do a 25 before 25 list which led me to thinking about a 30 before 30 list. I actually went and found many other bloggers who have all made up a 30 things to do before they turn 30 list. I was officially inspired and instantly started writing up my own.
I came to a slight problem pretty soon though. I far surpassed 30 things hitting about 50. Whoops. So I consolidated where I could, like instead of listing out the races I wanted to run individually, they went under one number. That left me at just about 40 things. So I went back through and got it down to 31 things after finding this great quote to guide me:
A bucket list should be full of place you would regret not seeing or things you regret not doing. It should be aspirational, so when you finish you feel a true sense of accomplishment. It should be long, or at least not short enough that you can check everything off in a weekend.
I’m not entirely sure who said this or remember exactly where I found it, but I think it’s a great starting point. Some of my things definitely don’t fit perfectly into this, but that’s okay. Because I know there are some things that I might feel a great sense of accomplishment from finishing where others might not feel the same. Which is totally okay too.
So, finally, here is my list:
30 Things To Do Before I Turn 30
- Run the following races
- Run SeaWheeze 2017 (lululemon weekend in Vancouver, BC)
- Run a Rock n Roll Half
- Run a Disney race
- Run a PDX race (particularly with my friend Sarah)
- Visit at least three US national parks
- Joshua Tree, etc
- Hike Havusupai
- Visit Iceland
- Attend a full moon party in Thailand
- Travel South America with my friend Caleb
- Go on a hot air balloon ride
- Write a book
- Move out of my parent’s house
- Move to a new city (preferably not in SoCal)
- Take the GRE
- Live alone
- Host a dinner party for friends
- See the northern lights
- Watch a meteor shower
- Travel somewhere solo at least once
- At least try to learn a new language
- Go camping at least three times in three different places
- Go backpacking (in the USA or abroad, doesn’t matter)
- Become a SoleMate for Girls on the Run
- USA Cross-Country road trip
- Attend a Pro sports game in the following: Bonus if I can do the Soccer World Cup in 2018, World Series, Stanley Cup, or Superbowl
- Hockey (for 2nd time)
- Take a non academic class (pottery, baking, cooking, etc,)
- Send a handwritten letter to all friends that I have a current address for
- Learn how to ice skate
- Help plan and go on a Blue House girls getaway trip (my college girlfriends)
- Finish the Waterstones 50 Books to Read list
- Create and stick to a beauty (hair, skin, etc) routine that works for me
- See the following bands in concert
- See The Lumineers in concert
- See Mumford and Sons in concert
- See The National Parks in concert
- Start investing my money
- Throw a big bash for my 30th
I have 31 because I’m telling myself that I can only throw a big bash for my 30th if I complete the whole list. But it might happen anyways. After going through this list again today, I realize that some of them are kind of weird (i.e. beauty routine), but I didn’t change anything because these are things that I really want to do and/or are important to me.
For me, the most terrifying one for me I think is traveling somewhere by myself. But I left it broad enough that it doesn’t have to be somewhere abroad (though I would probably feel more accomplished if it was).
I hope to be able to update at least twice a year, but we’ll see. I definitely don’t want to end up trying to do everything in the last year. That would be stressful.
Do you have a similar list? I would love to see it! Something that isn’t here that you would put on here? Let me know!