I’m not great at always remembering to eat my fruit. But I buy fruit with the intention of eating it during the week. But then I don’t. So I tend to find myself with extra food without any idea on what to do with it. Especially when I let over a week go by.
This time, I had two green apples, which were accidental purchases, and two golden delicious apples sitting on my counter waiting to be eaten. I finally did some fun searching on Pinterest for recipes that use a small amount of apples and of course cinnamon! I love cinnamon and apple combos.
And what I found is this yummy Mini Apple Crisp Recipe from Taste of Home. My original plan was to just make a single serving for myself, but that was when I had only two apples to use. When I made this last week, I decided to tweak the recipe to allow for three apples.
- 3 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 3/8 teaspoons ground cinnamon
As I mentioned before, I used two green apples and one golden delicious apple, but I think you can generally use whichever apple you want though I recommend green. Overall, the prep time for me ended up being about 10 minutes because of the peeling (which side note, is not my favorite thing to do). Luckily the directions are really simple!
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F
- Place apple slices in a small greased baking dish (I lightly greased with butter)
- In a small bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. Once combined cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Then add oats and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle mixture over apple slices.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until tender.
- Serve with ice cream if desired.
My Personal Tips
Don’t let the butter soften too much! I think that was my biggest mistake because then the cinnamon and oat mixture didn’t come out the right crumbly. Thankfully the whole thing tasted really yummy, especially with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
What’s your favorite apple recipe?